Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Friday, July 10, 2015

Warning- Explicit Language #2

Holy fucking hell.

I have just spent the last two days with literally a short in my brain. Unable to interact normally or function with others after one exhausting phone call regarding my status as a patient.

How someone, who is an experienced professional, could fuck this up so absolutely blows my mind. Congratulations for not keeping good notes at my one month update and for screwing this up.  Anytime I attend medical appointments, I take someone else because I can't trust my brain to work or remember. I also rehearse the questions and concerns I have so that I can get answers. The person in question, first of all, had reviewed the wrong file. Yes I had a craniotomy, no it was not planned, no it was not minor. My husband reviewed my case for this person and then the light went on.

"Oh, you're that one."

"No, fuck." (I now wish I had said but my response was nicer and more appropriate.)

During the appointment this person was unable to answer many questions such as prognosis and time lines for recovery. She said she would review things with the doctor and call us with answers, I'm ok with that. She did review all my follow-up MRI's and explain them. She also, after being told by my husband that I had, in the past, been a medical massage therapist. She reviewed the surgery notes, which were awesome. In light of some of my conversations with the doctor it totally makes sense. (He even claimed initial responsibility for my profanity because he had done a lot of swearing when he found my tumor, which was fibrous type, wrapped around many of my facial nerves. He spent hours carving it away one piece at a time.)

During a call to the doctor office, speaking to medical records, I found that my notes were not reported correctly and that things not discussed were added to my file notes. Seriously! Are you really aware of the potential impact of your poor reporting? My hell, you could have fucked up my records. Thank God I called to get them sorted out and that I have notes that show what was really going on.

A surgeon of this level and magnitude needs better people supporting him. His PA is incredible but most people in his office, are awful.

"Hey, lets call and trust the craniotomy patient to know and answer all these questions because we couldn't keep our patients straight and complete notes correctly." What the hell, I'm not doing anything anyway.



We had  a problem with our first interactions at this office in brief our previous issue is as follows:

At my follow-up one week after discharge from the hospital to get my staples removed, we met and were treated by a MA. After the staple removal, which was pretty easy, we asked to have my lungs checked. I was placed on medication to combat minor pneumonia in the hospital, they feared I had aspirated during surgery. We were told to have my lungs checked at the one week appointment, just in case. The medical assistant could not find a stethoscope to listen to my lungs and in a large office with many registered nurses and physicians assistants did not think to ask one of them for help. We had to call my primary care doctor and schedule an appointment 45 minutes away, to check that the pneumonia has gone. My doctor also placed me on some rather important medication to facilitate nerve regeneration, yup, the nurses had missed that one.

I am too sick and too tired to deal with this shit.
 


1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you have had to deal with all these morons who are suppose to be helping you recover. I will add your doctors back into my daily prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete