Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May the Fourth; Lessons on Recovery from the Star Wars Universe

So, Star Wars Day. A play on the date of May 4, well, it makes for a lot of fun. I can't help thinking about some of the lessons of the "Force" and recovery. Think about it:

  1. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. When diagnosed with any brain tumor, well, our emotions are varied and valid. Those that allow themselves space to grieve and then choose to move forward have a much stronger outlook. No matter your tumor type or impact, your quality of life has a lot to do with your level of hope and belief that there is value in the experience. We grieve. We are angry. We also have the ability to hope and work for the future. Researchers are beginning to look at the impact of happiness and hope on recovery, all my providers affirm that there is an impact but it has not been well documented yet, I look forward to those studies being completed.
  2. Do or do not, there is no try. Some may find this discouraging. I don't. This is permission to rest, to take time each day to recover. Some times I am unable to accomplish things. I just can't do it. This is ok. I can say no and not feel guilty or worry that I'm not doing enough.
  3. Finish your training. Pushing for results may cause circumstances you don't want; slow down and take your time. Luke didn't listen to Yoda when told to slow down and learn. He rushed out ready to save his friends, right into a trap and a confrontation that he was not ready or prepared for. It is so easy to want to push for more than we are capable of. Trusting care providers and supports in our recovery is vital. Learning to slow down, to learn, and to give myself time to really heal is vital. Some rush right out to regain their lives and are shocked when the body and brain rebel. It doesn't always happen right away, but as one person said "You can take the time now, or your body will insist on the time later. You choose."
  4. Always say I love you. Han Solo did not respond to a declaration of love with anything but "I know." I do not want to ever assume that my loved ones "know" they are loved. I want to tell them, frequently, so that they never doubt it. I want my actions to match my feelings. I try to show love, communicate love, and commit to always closing each interaction with a reminder that love connects us all.
  5. The Force surrounds us and connects us. We, in this community and life, are all connected to one another. None of us is alone. The loss of one life, affects all of us. We offer strength, encouragement, and support to one another. When one is weak, another is strong. By sharing our strength and remembering our connections we can each find the resources necessary to live our life to the fullest capacity.


No comments:

Post a Comment