Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Just Keep Swimming


I just got out of my neuropsychologist appointment.

Relieved, hopeful, and ready to go - after I take a very long nap.

The neurological testing was extensive, but given in a watered down version so as to avoid wearing out my system. We reviewed visual skills, memory, tracking, spatial awareness, and so many other things that I am amazed at the ability our minds have to filter out so much accessory information on a daily basis.

In discussing overload, I found that not only do we have our 5 basic senses, we additionally have other senses. Sense of time, sense of space, sense of reality, sense of awareness, and many more. The mind is bombarded with millions of pieces of information each minute and we miraculously sort through all of that to form thoughts, plans, and behaviors. My sorting system is broken and gets jammed up with all of the daily stimulus.

Removing and reducing stimulus has been the plan. Now we are going to slowly increase stimulus, increasing my tolerance for functionality.  My team and I will work together on a plan that will support function and make use of coping skills such as touch/memory techniques to allow for the most efficient function possible.

I was encouraged to pursue nerve testing for my hearing loss. Essentially it was explained that when one is determined to increase physical strength, you don't sit on the couch waiting for your muscles to grow. The mind operates on the same principle. After trauma, weak or damaged nerves and functions can be improved by careful and focused work. A team approach helps to ensure the fastest road to recovery possible and waiting to "see what comes back" is not an option for me. I have never been a "wait and see" person. I am "give me a direction and watch me go".

I now have hope for a more focused direction.

My friends also on this journey; if your doctor has told you "I don't know why you feel that way." or "No, that wouldn't happen." Request a referral to a neuropsychologist. Request referral to speech pathology, occupational therapy, physical therapy. Do what you need to do to ensure that you have a successful recovery. Your team works for you. You are not inconvenient. You are not wrong. You feel what you feel and you are the patient, therefore, you are the priority. Stand up and ask for what you need to be successful.

You've got this.


God bless and keep you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment