Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Self Care

 
With everything going on I just want to remind anyone going through a challenge, you get to take care of yourself first. You have permission to take care of you. Not in a selfish "Me, Me, Me" kind of way, but in a "I am a person. I deserve respect." kind of way. In airplanes you put the mask on you first before you can help your loved ones. So, here you go. 12 steps to setting safe space for yourself. 
 

My self care that I have to do each day includes exercises and stretches so that I can move. I do mindfulness activities and meditation over the course of the day. (3 minutes now saves hours of pain later.) I have permission to say "No" or that I don't want something. I don't get to say mean things about myself, even to myself. Changing that inner voice can change everything. I find myself facing new things as a challenge, letting go of what I did before and accepting that now is different. I get to dream that I will continue learning and growing. Where I am now is not where I will always be. (This is true for every person.) I try to do something that brings me joy and feeds my spirit everyday. This is separate form my religious beliefs,  it is acknowledgement and involvement in things that allow my soul to connect to the divine without the trappings of religion, which can create a feeling of obligation. this can include looking at the sky, listening to a song. Paining a picture. I have given myself permission to let go of people and things that drain me, that hurt me. I don't have to like everyone, but I can be kind to everyone. I can reach out and show love to those in my sphere of influence. We are sons and daughters of God. We all hurt, we all struggle, and we all have the potential for great joy.

God is good. He waits to bless us.

No comments:

Post a Comment