Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Mindfulness and Brain tumor

I often fascinates me how many things have worked to bring about healing and help during this trial. Prior to finding my tumor and undergoing surgery I had the privilege to receive training on Mindfulness, Brain development, and even its applications in treating trauma. (Thank you Jacob and Eric) My rehabilitation team has also expressed support for these activities and trainings as it helps me to cope with and find skills to address my current needs.

I use Yoga and Mindfulness to facilitate healing and recover from periods of extreme stress and anxiety, things that could cause my system to shut down. Recovering from any type of brain injury can benefit from the application of mind relieving practices. If you find Mindfulness and Meditation difficult and you are more physical, Tai Chi and Yoga can help. There are so many options that if you are yourself recovering, you are a family member, or a caregiver I encourage you to find something to stretch and relieve your mind. Access techniques to help you develop coping skills as you continue to progress.

In talking to my family and friends I have found that these help with PTSD sufferers, traumatized/abused children, returning veterans (even from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam), and brain tumor survivors. There are many resources; some cost money but many are free. Find something that strengthens and empowers you. If it doesn't work, try something else, but don't stop until you find a few resources that will help you in your individual recovery. I have included a few below. First is a Mindfulness exercise, then Yoga and Thai Chi.

 
 

God has blessed us with many resources to heal and recover from trauma. He does not leave us alone and comfortless. He reaches us in whatever way we need, if we will but be open to His whispers. You are not alone. You are loved. God bless and keep you in your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment