Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Accepting Limits

"What is your plan/timeline for returning to work?"

Um, no idea. How do you explain to someone for the second time that your restrictions and limitations are still in place. That there will be no change until September. That even then, no one can predict what your abilities will be.

I have been told that driving is "off the table" for right now. A secondary injury is common for brain injury patients in the six months after the injury. My speech pathologist explained to me that the brain takes longer to heal than it takes the person to look or even feel somewhat normal. They rush getting better and it results in another injury, sometimes larger than the first within a short period of time. Comments such as "I didn't see them." or "I don't remember what I was thinking." are heard after the second accident.

I can do a lot walking. I have a grocery store within a mile, in case of a food emergency. The urgent care is next to the grocery. (Both have opened in the last year.) I am blessed to have family and willing friends able to help in emergency cases. I am learning to live without. I am, learning that much of our busy running around, is simply unnecessary.

How do I say, "I don't have one. I don't know what I can/can't do."


1 comment:

  1. Hugs. The farthest into the future was 5 minutes and that was debatable. It will improve.

    ReplyDelete