Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Medical Marijuana

I was asked by one of my team a few weeks ago to look into the applications of medical marijuana, specifically the hemp seed (which has no THC) on tumor reduction and brain function. I have spoken to two other members of my team; both have encouraged a discussion with my neurologist. That's three of five.

This threw me for a complete loop as I tried to wrap my head around it before even trying to do any research, this is very slow for me.  You want me to ask my neurologist about what?

After weeks of digging through online files and trying to find my way past all the pothead culture, I have found a few articles that may help. In addition there is some exciting research into synthesized medications that may be able to address inoperable meningioma. (I will post more as I learn more.) Here are the (very) few articles I was able to find that have anything intelligent and reputable to say.

This article is on cancer but many of the same principles of treatment apply to brain tumor treatment. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/toddler-cancer-takes-cannabis-oil/story?id=15981324

Huffpost followed up on a documented story of recovery. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/01/cannabis-for-infants-brai_n_2224898.html

This is the article written prior to the Huffpost article on the same story. http://jeffreydachmd.com/2014/04/cannabis-oil-brain-tumor-remission-jeffrey-dach-md/

As you can see there is not much to find that is not from sites that promote pot culture; what there is to find is both intriguing and challenging. If there is a natural solution that makes use of the bodies own T-cells to combat inoperable tumors, why are we waiting to begin trials? For many with inoperable tumors there is nothing to lose, but everyday they lose a little more of themselves until the brain can no longer function. The medical field would be so excited if a synthetically produced drug was able to achieve similar results. This is both hard and frustrating to navigate as a brain tumor survivor.

One day at a time, I tell myself. There is hope. That is the future and I am here to live in the present. I can do this. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment