Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Speech Pathology

I have had the opportunity to have some pretty neat discussions about speech pathology. What is it? Why do I need it? What do I get from it?

Here is my humble, basic response.

Speech pathology works with everything from the neck up. All my damaged nerves, speech problems, vision and hearing challenges. Most importantly Speech pathology works to help my cognitive function, my thinking. My neurologist does a great job working to keep my brain physically functioning, removing the tumor, tracking growth and recovery. My speech pathologist focuses on how my brain is now working. Helping me to retrain the damaged portion, take breaks before overload, and self monitor my need to rest periods. Speech pathology keeps me functioning.

There are many things that speech has helped me to understand and interpret as I go on this journey. It has worked on my number recognition, time comprehension, sleeplessness, fatigue, compensations, and even my ability to speak. I have written about individual challenges over the past months.

I found today that I have been exceedingly blessed with my provider. He is working to pioneer aids to reteach the brain. He began working first with stroke patients but has adapted many techniques for me. I would love to see a program made accessible for patients. I know many who have had brain surgery and are told that the trauma they have experienced will heal on its own. Maybe, my rapid progress is because he is teaching me to monitor and evaluate my abilities and adjust my activities based on need.

TBI, PTSD, craniotomy, and even "watch and wait" survivors all have impact trauma on different parts of the brain. If given the tools to heal, we can regain much of our lost function. How blessed I am to have a provider who listens to me and hears the things I can't always say. I'm going through brain development of a child, with the cognition of an adult. I am so grateful for this opportunity to learn.


God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment