Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Friday, January 1, 2016

Plans

Plans, goals and ambition do not die off when you are given a life changing medical emergency. In effect your time actually becomes more valued, important, and essential that it become well spent. I measure everything from a standpoint of its impact and value on my life goals, its energy cost, and even its emotional value, i.e. the joy it brings me today. All these are weighed together to help me determine where my life values are at. I wrote earlier about scheduling and activity management. Cognitive Aids

Take that one step further to determine your goals. If your life is not reflecting what you say your values are one of two things has occurred; either your stated values are not your real values, or you have lost focus on what a precious resource the measurement of time is. Time is finite. None of us can buy, build, or bargain for more.


What we can do is spend wisely what we have. This does allow for rest periods. Based on my schedule you can see that much of my day is taken up by recovery and rest periods. I can accept this because that rest allows my brain and body to rebuild and heal. If I do not rest I collapse. That is my reality. Not enough rest and I can do nothing. I breathe, blink, and that is it. No speech, no memory retention, I lose even the ability to perform basic tasks.

As you plan for this next period in your life, make your goals SMART.

Tools for SMART goals




No comments:

Post a Comment