Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Dig Deep

"I ran cross country in high school, and my teammates and I logged countless memories over the miles we ran. One of my most vivid is the sound of our coach yelling at us toward the end of the race, when our legs were leaden and our resolve was waning. His hoarse voice, straining to be heard over the crowd, would shout: “Dig deeeeeeeep! Diiiiiiig deeeeep!!!”


There is some pretty amazing research going in to brain resiliency and our ability to overcome obstacles. Recently I was sent a copy of the following article. It was incredible and said so much better than I am capable of what each of us must do to overcome seemingly insurmountable challenges. Dig Deep

Every day I must dig deep to refocus on what matters. To redirect my thinking to find limited abilities acceptable. I know that God loves me. I know that there is more for me to do. I become frustrated at my inability to do it, until I remember to Dig Deep.


"Cognitive rehabilitation is rarely linear or easy. Some people struggle with anger and loss that undermines their best efforts to get better. But I am often amazed by the creative and graceful ways people reinvent their lives."

 
"If only we could bottle the energy that allows some people to negotiate a new life that is truly satisfying. I cannot promise all my patients that things will turn out as they wish, but I can tell them that the human spirit is amazingly resilient. People can (and do) thrive in the face of devastating loss.
In thinking about how to foster hope, I find myself recalling my high school coach's earnest shouts. Now I think I understand the message he yelled when we were at our weariest: I know you think you have nothing left, but I believe you are capable of more. Switch gears. Be strong. Dig deep."

No comments:

Post a Comment