Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Past My Own Front Door



How often do we, in our daily events, look past our direct sphere of influence? Do we seek out the one and let the ninety nine rest in safety? Do we look for opportunities to serve? Or do we pull back, stay closed, and refuse to look past our own front door?

Today was a hard day. I hurt, a lot. My muscles and joints were sore. But more intense was the sorrow felt in my heart as I recalled all that was lost from this tumor. Time with loved ones, hearing in my left ear, muscle control, the ability to eat easily. Small things that we take for granted every day. I lay in bed with tears seeping from my closed eyes as I tried to block out the pain. I began to pray and a song from years ago came to mind.

"Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad, or made someone feel glad? If not, I have failed indeed."
"There are chances for work all around just now. Opportunities right in our way. Do not let them pass by, saying sometime I'll try. But go and do something today."

Wake up. Go and serve. In the service there is healing, as you go look past your own front door.



1 comment:

  1. I used to use the same song when I couldn't get up. I discovered that I could make a phone call, write a thank you note, and many other small acts of service that I neglected when I was on the move. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete