Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Limiting Temptation

 
I had an interesting thought today. I was pondering all the things that God has asked of us; serve our neighbor, study the scriptures, be involved in the community, just to name a few. What is the purpose in so many charges? I feel completely overwhelmed, weak, and fallible when faced with the responsibilities of following Gods plan on earth.

In considering this, I wondered why would God give us so much to be responsible for? It is literally impossible to fit everything into a daily schedule. The thought came to my mind that there is a time and a season. If we are to trust God then we are intended to take on these challenges as our time and circumstances indicate.

I then took it a step further. This does not mean that we clutter our schedule intentionally to avoid Gods calling. What it means is that we use prayer and sound judgment to review our needs and the needs of our family and serve as we are able.

In addition to serving as we are able, the blessing of limiting opportunities for sin exists. In His very plan we are given a natural protection from the temptations of the devil and the natural man.

We cannot both sin and serve God at the same time. Man cannot serve two masters. This is the great divider of all things. We as individuals, during this time on earth, face decisions every day. We choose to be kind or not, be honest or not, be patient or not.  What I mean is that if we are involved in the act of helping a neighbor we are not also engaged in acting on temptations such as strong drink, sloth, or greed and selfishness.



As I considered all this I realized God has provided a way for us to grow closer to him even as we strive to master ourselves. As we engage in acts of service we limit the level of influence that sin and temptation may hold over us. The act of increasing involvement in positive activities enlarges our minds and souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment