Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Hair

There is an awesome 70s song about hair. Learning to live without much has been an interesting challenge.



A shaved head on a woman makes a statement, regardless of the reason. You must embrace it and work it. Most importantly you must accept it. Short hair makes no allowances for bad days. No feathering to cover up swelling from steroids. No curls or cute styles to hide sleepless nights and palsy.

Coping with these changes is sometimes difficult and like anyone I have bad days. My son did something the other day that challenged my concerns with my hair.

I was called into the family room to see what my sweet toddler had done. I arrived to find him proudly sitting up on the couch holding a drawing pad. My husband then asked him to tell me about his drawing.

He looked up at me and showed me what he had drawn. Two circles on the page, stick arms and legs with one circle tall and one short. Guessing the answer I asked what the picture showed.

I was surprised and deeply touched at his answer.

"That's you" pointing at the tall circle. Ready to praise him I was stumped when he continued. "You have short hair. You are sad about your short hair. This is me and I have short hair. We are the same. So it's ok to have short hair. It's just you and me."

I choked out, " yup, it's you and me."

Kids get it. It doesn't matter what we look like, the labels and insecurities we concern ourselves with. How easy would it be when confronted with those labels (fat, skinny, young, old) to think again;

"We are the same. So it's ok."

When my son can find this beautiful,
I wonder what it is we are so worried about,
letting other people see us as we are. We are the same.
A little dented, a little marred, but perfect in our imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment