Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Accepting Changes

This week seems to be about accepting the changes and limitations I am now faced with. I have had a variety of experiences that have contributed to this realization.

1. I become quickly overwhelmed and need to reset on a regular basis. This means closing my eyes and deep breathing for three minutes.
2.  Sound and light are still triggering. You can guess with three active little boys how often that happens. (My mother in law is staying with us and has been helping since the day I went in for surgery, could not do this without her.)
3. No hearing on my left side. This makes it hard to hear as I have to turn my body and ask others to repeat themselves frequently.
4. Thoughts can become scattered and I lose my train of though quite often.
5. My balance is shaky and I still need to use my walker when going out for any period of time, it helps keep me grounded.
6. I sleep about 14-16 hours per day.
7. My visual tracking is off and I can become easily confused.
8. Stress and anxiety must stay low; anything that escalates my blood pressure endangers my recovery.
9. I am significantly slower at any task.
10. I cannot make any rapid movements; moving to quickly results in confused vision and loss of balance.

 My body and mind have experienced a significant event or trauma. It is ok to allow time to heal. Be patient with yourself and your abilities. This is a new chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment