Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Whole New World

We are not talking Disney magic and flying carpets....


I am just waiting now. I have brain surgery in a few hours. Wow, just lay it out there all casual like. I have a brain tumor.

The cause for my brain inflammation was discovered this morning. I have a large meningioma sitting with my midbrain pushing it aside and pressing on vessels and tissue. They found it this morning through a contrast MRI. We were sent immediately from one ER to the [Medical Center]. We met the neurosurgeon and I was admitted.



The neurosurgeon met us and explained that I was being admitted. They would use steroids to try to shrink the tumor aiding in removal, I would have surgery either later today or tomorrow. He then asked a simple question. "How are you functioning so well?"

How was I functioning so well? The tumor took up a large part of my cranial space. He went on to explain that usually patients at this point had multiple blackout episodes and were unconscious when the tumor was finally identified.

Did I have headaches? Yes. Was I coughing? Yes. Did I understand the seriousness of what was going on? Oh, yes.

The final plan was to admit me and use steroids to shrink the tumor. I would have a craniotomy first thing in the morning.

Ok, this is really happening. Anyone else completely freaked because wow.

Update: Here are some awesome post surgery pics of my head, the doctor will remove the sterile bandage later but it looks kind of crazy. There is a red goo in my hair. Its an iodine spray they use to prevent stuff getting into the opening of the skull, so gross.


No comments:

Post a Comment