Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Trapped in Myself

So. I did it. I watched Still Alice. Incredible.


I mean that. The movie had a scope and grasp of brain trauma that was real. A friend who has also undergone a craniotomy recommended it and so I got up the guts to put it in my Netflix rotation. It took a few days after it arrived for me to feel brave enough to watch. I sat there, awed. I have finally found something to help me show/explain to others what post craniotomy life is like. I know the story is about early onset Alzheimer's. However, what Alice experiences is so similar to what many experience after tumors and brain surgery.

Blurred vision, disorientation, vulnerability. Lost memories. Decreased cognition. Poor comprehension and memory lapses. This is my life right now. The biggest difference, I get to heal. I get better. Not daily, but monthly there is improvement. I am amazed at the courage of some, to go forward knowing that this may be as good as it gets. Today may be the best it ever is.

In the movie I was most fascinated by the family response. Withdrawal, denial, shame, and fear were there in all their glory.

Meningioma tumors have three causes. One of those causes is heredity. Brain tumor is part of my family history. This is now something my children will have to think about and may potentially face. That is my biggest fear. Not for me, but for them. I don't fear for my life or what I am going through. I fear for my boys. That they will fear or hide from this because it is scary. It can be frightening. You face life changes on a grand scale. And no one knows what will happen.

At this point you have to put your all in God. He is the only one who knows what is to come. He cares for you and me. He cares for my boys as much as I do. He desires their growth and happiness. I can trust in that. Come what may, that is where my faith is.

No comments:

Post a Comment