Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Bills, Statements and Explaination of Benefits

So much paperwork. I constantly amazes me at the amount of documentation required for my case. The case notes, updates and reviews are enormous. My personal medical file has gone from reasonable to unbelievable. I have a briefcase that holds my files, MRI's, and medical payment information.

With brain surgery you can pretty much expect to either be on a payment plan or on financial assistance. Keeping track of payment dates and ongoing care is pretty fatiguing. Sometimes I pay a bill and then check to see later if I double paid. For one event there is the basic bill, then an explanation of benefits from insurance, then a letter or receipt for paid bill. Not only that but I also get the fun job of maintaining copies of current treatment plans. Why, you may ask? Well, I see five different professionals who work on my case. This does not include various radiologists and test results that I may be sent for.

Can we just take a reality check. I have brain surgery in May of 2015. I have brain damage and am still plagued with deafness, cognitive overwhelm and sensitivity to light and sound. Trying to organize this information, let alone try to understand all that is going, on wears me out. That is a job in and of itself.

I admit I sometimes just do what they tell me to because I can't keep it straight. In this I feel out of control and very vulnerable. It is not a comfortable feeling. It takes me days to work through the anxiety associated with trying to understand. So, I put it away until next month. When I will get to do it all over again.

Oh, and the best part- my follow-ups are next month. More appointments
 
and payments on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment