Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Monday, August 3, 2015

Writing Is Easier

Writing is easier than talking. It can be hard to think about all the things I have lost, there are so many things I was able to keep. When I lose perspective my team is there reminding me of how far I have come, both in comparison to myself and compared to similar situations. C* reminds me that she expected a vegetable to be wheeled into her office at our first appointment. Seeing my speech therapist last week, he commented on my progress and how far I have come.

The realities of my struggles are sometimes unexpected, things that I never would have considered have become challenging or even impossible. Examples of this include random things. Two weeks ago I found I could not chain two written instructions at once. (We use written instructions when possible to help with my comprehension and retention.) What this means is that I can only handle one instruction at a time. i.e. "Find the circle." I cannot talk or split my attention at these times. In fact I become irrationally angry when distracted and trying to focus. J* tells me that is because I am missing my own signs that it is too much.

I broke down two weeks ago when during my occupational therapy one of the instructions was to "Draw a square inside the circle." I had the option of four shapes drawn on a simple worksheet. I had to check my work three times, deep breathe, and still felt the emotions well up as if I was to drown. I was able to complete four worksheets of similar type; numbers and letters are fine, shapes and symbols are confusing. Moving to three dimensional shapes are even harder; sphere and cylinder, cube and rectangular prism, all look the same to me.

Two days ago I was faced with something else I have lost. Attempting my first outing to someplace new with my hubby, I found I could no longer use chop sticks. Normal, you say? I have been using chop sticks for years, I attempted to pick both sticks up and could not get my fingers around the sticks. I couldn't even hold both together let alone try to use them.

Sadly, the first situation I hid from my family until a few days later when I broke down while talking to my husband. I was too embarrassed to admit that I would be doing activities with my 3 year old because I couldn't keep up with our six year old. He sweetly held me while I just let loose. I wonder how many with brain trauma (dementia, concussion, PTSD) have mood swings because of all the stuff going on inside. I cry because I know enough to know where stuff is missing. What if all you knew was there is a big blank where something used to be, but you can't remember what it was?

I keep hearing in my head the old game "One of these things is not like the others..."

With the chopsticks I was able to trust my safety and admitted it right away. I ate with my fingers, its appropriate with sushi. (Volcano roll still my favorite.) We were both able to laugh and have fun without focusing on what I couldn't do. We moved past it and talked about other things. I am blessed in my advocate that he lets me have space to be silly and emotional. I will try to remember this moving forward.

So, ultimately here is the deal. I write because it is easier. I stay home because I can do more. I screen phone calls because I refuse to spend limited resources with a telemarketer. And I play preschool games with my son so I can relearn the things I have lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment