Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Anything Goes

I get so impatient. I feel as if I am in a perpetual waiting room. Waiting to get better. Waiting to drive. Waiting to get back to life.

In not wanting to think too much about things, I ignore it or pretend that things are the same. Then life makes it impossible to act like nothing is different.

Anytime I want to discuss my progress, or lack thereof, I get a reality check. I'm not dead. I am ahead of statistics by months. The cognitive behavioral work I have done for the past nine years helps me with relearning things. I taught these tools and techniques to kids, now I apply them personally. It's hard but fun. My providers say they can talk to me differently because I already have a basis for the techniques we learn. The menu and schedule I developed years ago running group homes, well, that's my life now. (For those that know, yup I am mentally and emotionally comparable to a group home kid.)

I am blessed to have a great support team. I was able to retain my personality. I can feed myself. I don't have to be on oxygen. I have bad days, but they are outnumbered by good days. I can emotionally connect to others. I kept my language and written expression. I can do many things, everything is a trade off and everything is much, mmmuuuccchhh slower, but I can do them. I can laugh, its soundless but I can do it.

Anything goes now, life is different. I need to remember that it is only 10 weeks from surgery, right now anything goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment