Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Thursday, May 5, 2016

May 5; Revenge of the Fifth

Continuing with the play on words, each May 5th is Star Wars Day revisited. Its easy to see why, with May 4th being Star Wars Day, well fans of the Empire want to play along too. Its silly and in good fun.

One thing not in good fun, is the long term prognosis for brain tumor patients. Meningioma, the most common form of brain tumor has increased its likelihood of occurrence. It used to be thought that only a small percentage of these tumors would reappear, that once beaten, you were cured. New research shows that this is not the case. It is now believed that fully 50% of all meningiomas will regrow at 10-20 years post removal. With patients being diagnosed at younger ages, this leaves us facing life threatening conditions or surgery multiple times in our lives.

The journey is never really over. Like the Sith, it can rise and reoccur at any time. Multiple tests and scans will be done over my lifetime. Because of the need for follow-up MRI I am required to limit my exposure to other forms of medical assessment; dental and chiropractic x-rays must be on an "as needed" basis.

The other specter for the rest of my life are seizures. Any time, any level of intensity. While I am not considered a "likely victim" of seizure, they can still just show up one day. I have to be prepared on how to deal with it. I had to teach my toddler to call his daddy in case mommy gets hurt and can't wake up. As one friend said- "Lots of free sides."

The journey is not over, I'm not throwing in the towel by any means. The long game is what concerns me now. One day at a time, I can do this. So can you. Together we can work to increase brain tumor awareness and work to a cure.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment