Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Eating

One of the biggest changes for me is pretty small and simple, but it affects me daily. One of the areas damaged is my ability to sense and feel hunger. I simply no longer have it. I also have lost much of my sense of taste. In the beginning I had noticed changes, when everything tasted like child's paste. At this point, I'm not really expecting it to come back.

I have trouble tasting salt. There have been some really bad mix-ups when I cook unless I have help. I also love sushi, so much. (This is funny because I hated it before.) I think I have pretty much narrowed it down to the spicy mayo, siracha sauce, and hot mustard. These, for some reason, taste to me. To be able to taste any food is amazing. I've started adding spicy mustard to sandwiches just so that I can taste.

I'm working with my doctors on keeping to a meal schedule and eating healthy portion sizes.  I tend to not eat enough and have lost a lot of weight over the last year. Some weight loss is ok, too much is not good because my body is still replacing lost and damaged tissue. We are tracking it and it is not at unhealthy levels. I have the most amazing team that help me to make sure that I do not suffer needlessly.

I loved food. Flavors, textures, the layers of savory and sweet. Oh well, every day there is something different, but every day I am here. I stumbled across a random fact the other day, a baby does not at first know how to taste salt. It takes four years for them to be able to detect it in their food. I'm giving myself four more years but not stressing over it too much. My husband loves sushi so for now, we just make sure that I get some on a semi regular basis.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment