Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Monday, April 25, 2016

(You Can) Go Your Own Way

Well, it has happened. Sitting talking about goals and life and education planning post injury I ran into a huge wall of "you can't". Not that I couldn't meet the educational requirements, or that I couldn't perform the functions required. The issue rests on the fact that I can not take and absorb the amount of information required as fast as the program, unmodified, dictates. This timeline is dictated only by the administrators and in no way reflects the educational needs or requirements of the field or national program standards.

In speaking with student services I found I could have accommodations for note taking, for test times. However, as the program is dictated, it automatically eliminates anyone with more disabilities than those mentioned. I can not take the classes other ways. I can not change the amount of course work needed each term (up to 21 credit hours in one semester) by extending the program. When it was pointed out how it could be done, the answer simply was "That's not the way we do it."

I was then directed to look at other options. Options for education in areas with little to no economic value and opportunity for job growth. It was like being shown the door and denied the chance to perform in a way where I can benefit others and be an asset, using my strengths, past experiences, and education.

Currently the school and its program administrators refuse to accommodate my disability. They refuse to think outside the box or even consider options where it has been demonstrated accommodations are possible. "That's not the way we do it."

I am grateful that when in a similar position I possessed the ability to help and meet the needs of my students; whether medical, emotional, or technical. I was given the freedom in my program to train in a way that met the needs of the student and prepared them for their chosen profession, despite any presenting challenges. Working with children in foster care we encouraged individualization and wanted to partner with clients and families in ways that built lasting skills and positive change.

This is who we are. This is who the caretakers and providers are. Not someone who says "That's not the way we do it." Caretakers say, "Let's get it done."

So, to you, you who refuse to look at anything other than "the way we do it", congratulations, I am now completely pissed off.

I had heard of Disability Discrimination, now I have seen its ugly face. Fascinating and discouraging that it is within the field of educating the next generation of our care providers.

How dare you say what I can or can not accomplish? You don't know me. You never will, as long as you refuse to actually work to make things better. Sit in your ivory tower, you will miss out on the beauty of meeting someone outside your perfect world that might actually open you up to seeing others as individuals. Disabled persons are not objects in your way. We are not incapable. If you refuse to accept us as individuals, you will never know what we can be. We know. We know who we are. The ones who choose to see it will be gifted with a world view more open and capable than you will ever let yourself see. I know who I am.



Hold on to your hat, I'm getting it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment