Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Monday, April 25, 2016

Avoid Dis-sing Ability





Many forms of discrimination exist, racism, sexism, even ageism. They all look at the outside description, not the person. Essentially, seeing a category and not the individual. For example I am  white, a female, and in middle age. These facts are true, but they do not make up or measure who I am. There is one category, still in the shadows, little talked about but very much present in our educational and employment centers; ableism. Below, I offer a number of items and articles available to understand other situations, points of view and perspectives.

One woman offers her perspective on this as she lives in the "grey areas". Some days are good, others are not. Living My Life In The Grey Area

Additionally many resources work to make disability law accessible and easily understood by both providers of services and those requiring accommodations. Discrimination and Disability Law

Employers can benefit the community and avoid costly litigation by staying informed of laws and statutes that govern hiring and employment practices. Mighty Works

My realm of disability rests mainly in my challenges with a severe Traumatic Brain Injury. I am not alone. TBI As those with concussive episodes, PTSD, and other causes of neurological trauma heal, it is vital that we been seen as individuals and not placed on a shelf, out of the way, to wait quietly until we fade away. That's not me. It's never been me and it will not ever be me. I am going to push as far as I can to stretch my abilities and see how far the brain really can heal.

All I ask, all anyone really asks, is to be seen as a person, an individual. If you keep that in mind, in all your interactions, to see the humanity, the person, you will do well. When we lose our view of each other as individuals, we lose a part of ourselves and amazing opportunities for increased understanding and growth. 

God bless you. Keep going, keep healing. You can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment