Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Friday, March 18, 2016

Buffering...

Neuropsychologist update: So, my issue is that I am, shall we say, "Buffering".
 
With my results today we discussed where my issues are. Basically the brain filters amazing amounts of information every minute. This occurs at a rate of approximately 11 million points of data per minute. This information is received through the Senses and relayed to the Attention/Filter part of the brain. From here it is taken into the Short Term Memory ( to be later transferred into the Long Term Memory, if repeated.) Memory is taken and applied in the Thinking part of the brain.
 
 
My cerebellum and all left cranial nerves were affected by my tumor- essentially the filitering system is broken. I function lower than 86% of people when it comes to information absorbtion and intake. I cannot filter between vital and garbage information. Therefore I process slowly and only absorb so much before I shut down. These issues were most likely not caused by any surgery; but by the tumor, its size and location. I was informed that it was a blessing to have the tumor be a meningioma because if it had been comprised of brain tissue, I would have a very different story.
 
Yup; there it is. My brain filter/attention works at a level of 14%, meaning
that 86% of the population thinks faster and focuses more than I do.
 
I asked how I was able to function the way I did, his answer "You faked it." OK, then. Yeah, I probably did. I focused on other people first and distracting myself with that was a great way to pretend everything was fine while my mind worked in the background trying to catch up. He says I've got a great team, they are doing exactly what we need to do and he will see me in a year.
 
 
Good to know that my symptoms were not imagined. Good to know I have reason for struggling. Better to know there is something I can do about it. Ask questions. Follow up. Make sure you have an advocate and use your primary care doctor as your team leader. Let your team talk to each other. They all have a piece to the puzzle, putting it together can give you a clear picture of what to do for your care. You've got this!
 
God bless and keep you.
 
(My brother commented that working with dial-up service can be frustrating. So, I'll just sit here, buffering. Thanks buddy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment