Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Friday, November 22, 2019

TBI and the Kitchen

Providing and caring for my family, at even basic levels is very challenging. I used to cook an extensive and well thought out menu. My husband and I, at one time, ran a very complex group home where I cooked daily for 10-12 persons. I also had to organize and complete all shopping. Prior to my craniectomy I had a 5 week, nutritionist approved menu with associated shopping list, divided by store. Now, I'm left to only short and simple recipes.

In talking about this challenge with my sister, I realized that everyone struggles with making dinner and what to make for dinner. There are multiple sites that address this; sending you daily menus for minimal fees, structuring your shopping list, etc.

I have already, for myself, learned to work within mostly what I can do and now make fewer mistakes. Due to the trauma of my surgery and the injury from pressure, I can make only the most basic things and my husband and children help me, every day. I have everything written down and simply restructure it based on day and need.

There are some basic rules to help you get started.
  • Cooking for my family is an all day event. I complete prep work throughout the entire day as part of my OT and PT homework.
  • I plan very simple meals on days that I have rehab sessions or other external stressors.
  • Rest when planned, don't do too much at once.
  • You will make mistakes. Mistakes are adventures.
  • Always have a backup just in case; cereal or canned soup and sandwiches work great.
  • Organize your space. Eliminate or minimize distractions.
  • Check ingredients and pull out everything you will need to cook your meal. Put it away when done, this can help you track what step you are at. 
  • Break the job up into tasks of no more than 5 steps.
  • One task at a time; no more.
  • Write it down. This is where I make most mistakes, I lose track and forget or double steps. 
So, there you go. How to cook with a brain injury. Experiment. Have fun. And keep a sense of humor, it helps.



One last tip. Siracha sauce is magical. I have some nerve trauma so many foods taste like children's paste. I enjoy foods based on texture and temperatire. I have some taste sensation, but to really "feel" my food, spice adds a chemical component that I can sense. Sushi is my happy place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment