Featured Post

Top things to not say to a brain tumor patient...

So over the past few months I have experienced some pretty dismissing comments. I'm actually amazed that people would say these things ...

Monday, December 26, 2016

Room at the Inn or The Night Baby Jesus Came to Stay

The doorbell rang just as we sat down to read. Luke 2, the story of the birth of Jesus was the plan. Wondering who it could be we opened the door, only to stare, stumped at the baby in the manger.

Baby Jesus was on our doorstep. No letter, no note, no idea of why he had come or who had put him there.


"So , what do we do with him?"
"Well, we start by bringing him inside."

There it is, the statement that caught my attention, "we start by bringing him inside". Isn't that the way it all begins? Simply by letting Christ into our hearts, into our lives.

Christmas Eve night and all the next day I pondered the meaning of the question of whether I let Christ into my life. Do I make room at my inn?

We searched for who he might belong to. My sons were certain that someone had given baby Jesus to us, I cautioned them that we had to be sure to try to find his owners. The quality and care with which he was wrapped had me concerned that he belonged in someone's beautiful nativity display. The manger was handmade, animal skins lined the bed, and the babe was wrapped in swaddling clothes. Herbs and hay padded the manger, making a soft and safe place for the baby to lay. Care and love was shown in every part of the bed. I think that Joseph and Mary would have shown such care, still I feared that someone was missing a vital piece to their holiday this year.

Christmas night I received a message- Baby Jesus had come to stay for the next year. A reminder to make room at our inn. After focusing on the beauty of the gift of that life and offering a year of random acts of service, we will have the opportunity to pass him on. We will choose a family and gift baby Jesus to them, a note will explain all, what a fun way to remember what is important.

I pray that my sons will always remember the year that baby Jesus came to stay. God bless and keep you.


No comments:

Post a Comment